Saturday, June 18, 2011

Yamagata-Ken? More like Rockagata-WIN.

Finally have my placement, and I couldn’t be happier.



I’ll be headed to a small town in Yamagata Prefecture, just outside of Shinjo City.



It hits pretty much every check box on my list.

  • North Western Japan
  • Small population (less than 6,000)
  • Beautiful landscape
  • Close to the sea (a little over an hour by car)
It’s also definite that I’ll be in an Elementary and Junior High School, which is exactly what I was hoping for. High School is nice, of course, but working in Elementary and Junior High is what I’m good at, and younger kids are just more fun.

I’ve also been lucky enough to speak with my predecessor and a few other people already there (which, just let me say – I am overwhelmed by how welcoming and friendly everyone has been, far beyond my expectations). They’ve all pretty much confirmed that the village is a top notch placement to have and just a great place to be a JET.

Some of what I’ve found out from my predecessor so far:

  • I’ll be getting 4-6 feet of snow in the winter and I’ll be rolling in humidity in the summer
  • Fall and spring, however, are gorgeous and lovely
  • My town is famous for fishing and the Totoro Tree
  • I live within walking distance of the Board of Education and the elementary school
  • There has been one (known) centipede in the house in three years
  • They have a judo club and a softball club
  • I’ll be living in a small house which sounds like just the right size for my needs
  • The area is full of things to do. Fruit picking, SCUBA diving, hiking, fishing, skiing, snowboarding, the list goes on!
There’s lots more, but that’s what I’ve been able to process thus far. I really couldn’t be more pleased with my placement. I haven't been able to find too many pictures, but here's the one good picture I have scrounged up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment